As a business owner, it can be easy to believe that the skills and capabilities that got you to your success today, are what will keep you successful tomorrow. Although core business principles do not change, the manner in which things are done is constantly changing, and this demands constant adaptation.
Here are a few steps that you can follow when conducting your personal skills audit:
- Start by listing all the skills, knowledge and competencies that you have. Rate yourself. Know your competency level.
- Take a look at the industry within which your business operates. What direction is it heading? Are there any changes? Is there a need for new skills?
- Take a look at your business goals. What skills are needed to take your business to the next level? E.g. Do you need to improve your listening skills in order to better serve your clients? Do you need to work on your time management in order to be more productive? Do you need to work on your leadership skills to better lead your team?
- Identify the gap. Find out exactly what is needed. Ensure that developing that new skill will fill a gap and contribute to the overall success of your business.
- Put in place an action plan. Set SMART goals. Give yourself adequate time to develop the new skill.
If you need to discuss the skills you need develop in order to take your business to the next level, please send us a message.
Janice is a Certified Business Coach whose extensive professional experience in various aspects of business has set her on a mission to help business leaders turn their Vision into Reality. She works with them to develop and implement strategies, best-practice systems and take action steps that will help move their business forward. In addition to Business Coaching, she is an Entrepreneur, Certified Life Coach, Trainer, Wife and Mum. She also works with Christian business owners who desire to run their business based on Biblical Principles.